Thursday, June 23, 2016, Austin, TX – Ahead of Mobile World Congress Shanghai 2016, Alepo (www.alepo.com) – a global provider of core network and IT software solutions for communications service providers, today released a new research report highlighting the need for more effective strategies for Over-the-Top (OTT) services by mobile network operators in Asia-Pacific region. The report, “Mobile Operator Survey: OTT Services Outlook in Asia-Pacific,” is based on a survey of mobile network operator executives conducted by Alepo to understand revenue loss and other business challenges caused by the rapid emergence of OTT providers in the region.
Alepo’s research reveals strong leanings towards MNOs looking to create revenue-sharing partnerships with OTT providers. While just over half of the survey particpants reported to have working partnership agreements with OTT providers in place today, nearly all expressed interest or intent in creating partnerships.
Key Survey Findings Presented in this Report
- Declining voice revenues versus rising OTT voice services is one of biggest challenges that the respondents face today.
- Revenue loss to OTT providers is higher for messaging (SMS) services than for other services, including mobile voice, video, and mobile money.
- Nearly two-thirds of respondents directly compete with OTT providers with their own video, messaging, or content services.
- While just over half of respondents have working partnership agreements with OTT providers today, nearly all expressed interest or intent in forming OTT partnerships.
- Respondents overwhelmingly agree that OTT providers are a major threat to their business, yet they are very optimistic about the potential for win-win partnerships.
Danielle Elaine Smith, Director of Marketing at Alepo, commented on the report’s findings. “It’s clear that mobile network operators in Asia Pacific recognize the emerging threat of OTT services on the bottom line and are proactively seeking new strategies and business models to overcome that.” She added, “This report indicates that the implementation of those strategies is not limited by an unwillingness to partner by either the operators or the OTT providers, but rather by poor or outdated policy and charging control infrastructure that can’t adapt to meet the new realities of today’s dynamic APAC telecom markets.”
Alepo provides award-winning policy and charging control solutions to combat operator revenue loss to OTT services and enable winning partnerships between OTT providers and mobile network operators. With a complete, carrier-grade data monetization ecosystem, Alepo enables mobile network operators to better monetize their 3G and 4G mobile data networks, partner with third-party providers, push new offers to customers in a modern mobile app, and much more.
Alepo will attend Mobile World Congress Shanghai on June 29 – July 1, 2016. During the event, Alepo will give live demos of its real-time data charging and policy control solutions for 3G, LTE services, and WiFi. To schedule a demo with Alepo at Mobile World Congress Shanghai 2016, please visit https://www.alepo.com/news-events/upcoming-events/
For more information, please visit www.alepo.com.